MAKE A DIFFERENCE - VOLUNTEER !
Birmingham Audubon Society appreciates your interest in volunteering to help with our programs, events and administrative efforts. It is only through the many hours our volunteers give that we can meet the needs, which our energetic organization presents. We welcome your participation.
The Board of Directors of Birmingham Audubon Society is made up of interested members like you. Each board committee has duties to fulfill and meaningful things to do. Donate your time and get to know us.
Experienced members will work with volunteers.
Specific Education opportunities to volunteer:
- Guided Bird Walks for elementary students at Birmingham Botanical Gardens on Mondays and Fridays - volunteers needed to assist and/or lead bird walks after the programs at the Birmingham Botanical Gardens. Walks will be 1 hour in length and there will be two walks each day.
- Assist our Education Manager as she gives classroom presentations about birds.
- Staff our booth at school fairs and community events.
If you enjoy teaching, we have opportunities available during school hours and beyond. No need to be an excellent birder to help. For more information about any of these education volunteer opportunites, contact Louise Ayer Tommie at 205-428-9652.
Volunteers Needed for Teacher Nature Camp
Plans are under way for our 2014 Audubon Nature Camp for teachers to be held June 9-11, 2014. The committee is looking for volunteers to help with:
- Hospitality: Information packets for teachers, concierge, registration, signs
- Food: Maintaining the snack area, coordinating sustainable dinnerware, kitchen and clean-up
- Academic: Coordinating faculty and students, planning and managing on site Library, preparing checklists (birds, wildflowers, trees)
There are activities that also need coordination before hand and do not require volunteers to travel to the camp.
If you are interested in volunteering to help with the Audubon Nature Camp for teachers contact: Maureen Shaffer at or 205-822-8728.
Other Committees needing volunteers:
- Hospitality Committee - Act as Host/Hostess at our general meetings. Bring refreshments or greet and register guests.
- Field Trips - Be an assistant to the guide and pass out trip data, etc. Also, seasoned birders are needed to guide new birders.
- Conservation - Represent Birmingham Audubon at meetings involving the conservation of our environment.
- Membership - Present our membership information and brochures at special events and programs.
For questions about volunteering for the other committees contact Suzanne Langley at 205-714-8227.
Please fill out and mail the Volunteer Application attached below.